I just randomly found this game now, just under a week after its release! Might need to buy! Gonna download the demo now. Let's see...
It's Mars' first day at a new school. Except every day is his first day at a new school. Every night the world ends.
Mars Underground is an apocalyptic adventure game in which the player relives the same day over and over.
The player attempts to solve the brain damaging mysteries and uncover multiple potential endings as they explore the possibilities of this time loop.
Take experimental prescription drugs. Talk to a toilet. Get hit by a car. Humiliate yourself repeatedly.
All in the name of figuring out what on earth is going on.
- Unique time loop premise that explores the possibilities of branching stories and multiple endings in interactive fiction.
- Game design that mixes classic adventure game conventions with sandbox-style gameplay. As the player discovers new topics and acquires new items the world opens up and they can try more things each day.
- All original, dynamic music soundtrack.
- Simple, easy to grasp gameplay that can be fully played with either mouse, keyboard, controller or touch input.
Explore Phobos City
- Solve the mysteries of Phobos City and try to escape the timeloop!
- Interact with the charming and witty citizens! Make friends!
- Relive the same day over and over: almost as tedious as real life!
Design, Development, Programming
Paul McMahon (Akumenn)
Jason R. Godding
Alex G: Xeliard
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, HTML5|
|Made with||RPG Maker|
|Tags||Comedy, Exploration, mind-bending, Mystery, Pixel Art, Point & Click, RPG Maker, Sci-fi, Story Rich, Time Travel|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Xbox controller, Gamepad (any), Touchscreen, Smartphone|
|Links||Steam, Homepage, Twitter, Steam Greenlight|
In order to download this smergy you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $8.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- Mars Underground is a finalist for 3 awards at Freeplay 2019!55 days ago
- Mars Underground version 1.0192 days ago
- Relive the same day over and over. MARS UNDERGROUND is out now!99 days ago
- Mars Underground coming March 15, 2019Feb 03, 2019
- Mars to PAX and Having a KidDec 04, 2018
- Mars Underground selected for PAX Aus Indie Showcase 2018!Aug 14, 2018
- Updated screenshots, new demo!Sep 09, 2017
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
Was giving a copy of the game from the developers for free to cover on my stream. I thought the game was really interesting and different. Just when you feel like you figured out something, something else happens.
I am a Kickstarter backer who received my early copy, just played through the game (but I think there are still many secrets to uncover) and I love it. Highly recommended. You can see my longer post at the Kickstarter comments page. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1689302633/mars-underground-an-apocalyptic-...
I realy loved this game!! I was wondering is it availible yet or is it still demo?
Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't checked the itch.io page for a while and missed your message.
It's still just a demo for now but I'm very close to a release. Just need to finish testing and fixing bugs.
Thanks for making a mac version. This game looks really great
When are u going to release the full version?
Well... the plan was to have it finished and released now, in September. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make that deadline. I'm not going to announce a new release date just yet, I'm waiting until I can set a date I'll be certain to hit. I don't want to continually announce dates and then fail to meet them and I don't want to cut the game down to get it out either.
Intresting concept! I would love to do a LP of the game if you allow that. If so, do you also allow Let's Players (like myself) to use YouTube's Partner program to place ads on said video?
Hey, sorry I missed your message and am only just getting back now.
I certainly do allow ads on let's plays
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Best of luck with your project!
Octopix winner and New Demo
Stunned to announce that Mars Underground won the Octopix for best independent game in the Strasbourg Festival!
I've also just uploaded a new, improved demo:
-New tile edits by Matt Beer
-New name input screen
-New "show hotspots" button
-Added a special "demo exclusive" ending
-Fixed lots of little glitches and bugs
You guys seriously need to try the demo, it's been a hilarious ride.
Will you add linux support?
Updated Demo 7-July-2016
- Can play through the entire day!
- More locations. More things to do. More music. More everything.
- Can travel on bus. Reach locations: Phobos City, Pac Street, Moloch Headquarters
- Use of Jay's VariableMix plugin for dynamic music crossfades
- Removed icon pop-ups
- Dialogue choices now use HMSChoiceDisplayMode
Note: HTML5 version is not compatible with itch.io and had to be removed.
Quite an interesting game, it seems like it could have alot of potential if done right.
Continuing development on this would defenently be worthet.
By the way:
I am curious about what language/software this game was developed in.
When is the full game going to be released
A longer demo is planned for early July. The full game will be out in 2017.
This is quite a wonderful game
This looks wonderful.
Mac build please!
how do i get to the gym after lunch. i can't go back inside
Sounds like a bug. After lunch ends, I just walk to the door and I'm right back inside again.
Played through the demo and this is a really I like what's going on so far! I'll keep my eye on this.
I'm gonna record this game and post it on YouTube. The game is amazing and i'll also gonna review it after I played the demo. :D
The error at the start of "cycle 2" should be fixed now.
Thanks for having a look at my game!
I'm having difficulty recreating that error. Were you playing the browser version or the download? What sort of device were you using? What is your internet connection like?
hi I was playing in browser in chrome and I have timewarner cable. After I finished the default day the error occured on the second day as I was about to get out of bed. Hope that helps.
Had Same error on day after default loop after trying to wake up, failing, clicking sleep in, then replayed the time-warp animation, game crashed a few seconds after that
Game looks awesome though! can't wait for more
Updated 30 March 2016:
-Shortened "default cycle" by removing most of the school section
-Now using 16x16 tilesets
-All events are now triggered by "player touch"